Table of Contents
What Is AHCCCS?
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) is Arizona’s State Medicaid agency. Medicaid is a government-funded program that provides healthcare for some low-income people, families, and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities. In Arizona, the program covers all low-income adults below a certain income level.
Can AHCCCS Insurance Be Used For Drug Rehab?
One of the important features of both the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Mental Health Parity and Equity Act (MHPAEA) of 2008 is to make sure that insurance providers offer substance use disorder (SUD) and mental health benefits. Additionally, these benefits must be equal to or better than the benefits for surgical and general medical care.
AHCCCS Covers Behavioral Health Services Including:
Behavioral Health Day Programs
This includes supervised day programs, medical day programs, and therapeutic day programs
This includes urgent care inpatient services such as hospital, sub-acute, and residential treatment.
Rehab services include living skills, cognitive rehabilitation, and educational support.
Prevention, education, and medication training to increase a person’s knowledge of health-related topics such as medication management, stress management, relapse, and healthy lifestyles.
Residential Behavioral Health Services
Includes up to 24 hours per day services in a structured living environment for people who need support.
Services include case management, Family & Peer Support, housing support, and child care connections.
Treatment services include counseling, consultation, evaluation, and specialized testing, and substance abuse treatment.
Who Can Be Covered Under AHCCCS Insurance?
To be eligible for Arizona Medicaid, you must be:
- A resident of Arizona
- A United States citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien, in need of health care/insurance assistance
- Financial situations/socioeconomic status identified as low income or very low income. The income level at which you become eligible depends on the number of people in the household.
You must also be one of the following:
- Women who are pregnant, responsible for a child 17 years of age or younger
- A family member in your household with a disability.
How Does It Work?
AHCCCS has contracted with several plans to offer covered services. An AHCCCS health plan works like a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). This plan works with:
You choose a plan that covers your zip code area and, if you’re approved, you will choose a primary care provider (PCP), Your PCP will:
- Be the first person you see for medical care
- Authorize any non-emergency medical services
- Send you to a specialist if needed
When you are approved for AHCCCS Health Insurance, you’ll get your health care from an AHCCCS plan unless:
- You’re Native American and you select American Indian Health Program as your healthcare plan
- You’re just asking for help with Medicare costs. If you are approved for a Medicare Cost Sharing program, AHCCCS might pay your Medicare premiums, coinsurance, and deductibles
- AHCCCS can only pay for emergency services due to your status with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Most people don’t have a monthly premium to pay for AHCCCS Health Insurance. Those with income too high to be eligible for AHCCCS with no monthly premium may be able to get it by paying a monthly premium. If you do need to pay a monthly premium, the amounts are:
- $10-$70 per household for all children
- $10-$35 per person for employed people with disabilities
Are You Eligible For AHCCCS Insurance?
Our Admissions specialists at Granite Mountain are experienced in all facets of insurance coverage. We will be happy to answer any of your questions (and we know you have many). Let us check and see if you’re eligible, then you can take it from there.
Verify Your AHCCCS Coverage
If you already have an AHCCCS plan, we will verify your coverage during our intake process. You have enough on your mind. Our healthcare staff is experienced and successful in treating addictions and other mental issues. In addition to specialized treatment for several substances, we can provide specialized programs for seniors, teens, and women. You are an individual, and at Granite Mountain, we recognize that. You will have a program designed for you alone. Contact us today. It’s the most important thing you can do.